The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Assessments can determine a student’s oral reading fluency proficiency, progress, and individual instruction needs, and when used alongside trusted data from i-Ready Diagnostic, can provide a complete picture of a student’s overall reading performance.
New for the 2020–2021 School Year
The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Assessments measure a series of critical data points that illustrate students’ proficiency and progress toward reaching the level of oral reading fluency appropriate for their grade. The assessments provide oral reading fluency passages written to industry standards and scoring guidance to serve the following purposes:
- The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Benchmark Assessment uses grade-level texts to determine a student’s oral reading fluency proficiency compared to nationally recognized norms for the student’s grade level up to three times per year. The Benchmark Assessment is available for students enrolled in Grades 1–4.
- The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Formative Assessment offers passages across adjacent grade levels to determine a student’s independent and instructional reading levels, instructional needs, and oral reading fluency progress over time. The Formative Assessment is available for students at developmental reading levels from Grades 1–4. (Students enrolled above and below these grades may still benefit from these formative assessments.)
The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Assessments are available at no additional charge to i-Ready Diagnostic for Reading license holders.
How It Works
- As a Benchmark Assessment Teachers can use information from the Benchmark Oral Reading Fluency Assessment to determine their students’ proficiency in reading grade-level texts fluently. Teachers can use this information, combined with i-Ready Diagnostic data, to better understand their students’ overall reading performance at their grade level.
- As an Ongoing Formative Assessment Using each student’s i-Ready Diagnostic placement in Reading as a starting point, teachers save administration time by matching students to passages at their approximate reading levels. This process allows teachers to periodically assess students’ current performance, to observe progress toward reading goals, and to form a rich picture of each student as a reader.
The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Assessments consist of:
- Oral reading fluency passages and corresponding scoring sheets for Grades 1–4
- Benchmark Assessments: Three assessment forms (two passages per form) to be administered up to three times per year
- Formative Assessments: Multiple passages per grade targeting three ranges of difficulty within each grade, to be administered periodically based on teacher discretion
- Materials for scoring Words Correct per Minute, Accuracy, Comprehension, and Prosody
- The i-Ready Oral Reading Fluency Assessments Manual, which guides educators through:
- Assessment administration
- Scoring process and interpretation
- Recommended instructional strategies
- Class record sheet
All components of the Oral Reading Fluency Assessments are available through i-Ready as downloadable, printable PDFs, putting the assessment process where it belongs—in the hands of teachers. Teachers administer and score the assessments and record results offline.