Preparing to Teach i-Ready Classroom Mathematics
Preparing to Teach i-Ready Classroom Mathematics equips teachers to launch a successful implementation. As educators experience i-Ready Classroom Mathematics instruction through video and discussion, they begin to make connections between the program, the Standards for Mathematical Practice, and the NCTM Effective Mathematics Teaching Practices. Educators put their hands on print and essential digital components to learn about the program and prepare for the first few weeks of instruction. This preparation focuses on creating a discourse-rich classroom that supports students’ mathematical reasoning and conceptual understanding through each day of instruction to work toward mathematical goals. Educators also learn how to administer the Diagnostic for reliable student data and why that unlocks the power of the Diagnostic to drive differentiated instruction.
As a result of our time together, educators will be able to:
- Teach Lesson 0 to establish a classroom where students make meaning of mathematics through purposeful conversation.
- Use the Teacher's Guide to plan and implement i-Ready Classroom Mathematics instruction.
- Motivate and prepare students to do their best on the Diagnostic.
NCTM Effective Teaching Practice Connection
Our courses support the understanding and implementation of all the NCTM Effective Teaching Practices. This course emphasizes these Teaching Practices:
- Establish mathematics goals to focus learning.
- Implement tasks that promote reasoning and problem solving.
- Facilitate meaningful mathematical discourse.
The recommended length for these centrally delivered courses is six hours—with each course needing a minimum scheduled time of at least four hours. Computer and web access are strongly recommended. These sessions may be delivered virtually or in person.
- Teachers and instructional coaches
- Leaders are also encouraged to attend.