Preparing to Teach Ready Classroom Mathematics
Educators connect the program to important daily habits and mathematics instructional practices.
This course equips educators to launch successful Ready Classroom Mathematics implementations and begin to make connections between the program, the Standards for Mathematical Practice, and the NCTM Effective Teaching Practices. Educators focus on identifying and achieving daily mathematics learning goals and beginning the process of building discourse-rich classrooms that support students’ mathematical reasoning and offer multiple entry points for diverse learners. To ensure that educators leave the session ready to begin the school year, they consolidate their learning by using print and digital resources to prepare for a week of instruction.
- Locate and utilize essential components for planning goal-driven Ready Classroom Mathematics lessons.
- Deliver purposefully planned instruction.
- Begin to establish a mathematics classroom where students make meaning of mathematics through purposeful conversation, perseverance, productive struggle, and collaborative thinking.
NCTM Effective Teaching Practice Connection
Our courses support the understanding and implementation of all the NCTM Effective Teaching Practices. This course emphasizes these Teaching Practices:
- Establish mathematics goals to focus learning.
- Implement tasks that promote reasoning and problem solving.
- Support productive struggle in learning mathematics.
The recommended length for these centrally delivered courses is six hours—with each course needing a minimum scheduled time of at least four hours. Computer and web access are strongly recommended.
- Teachers and instructional coaches
- Leaders are also encouraged to attend.