Each Spelling Power book has:
Basic Spelling List
- Words presented first in list form, then in context
- Exposures to each word are multiple and varied
- Test–study–test procedure, including proofreading/self-correcting
- Extension activities and opportunities to write in every lesson
Challenge Spelling List
- A list of words derived from the Basic Spelling List
- High-interest activities especially designed for the Challenge List
- Pretest with dictation sentences furnished in the
Super Challenge Spelling List
- Words demanding sophisticated language skills
- Creative and challenging writing activities
- A pretest and post-test
Focus on Spelling
Lessons begin with instruction and move to guided and independent practice activities.
Focus on Meaning
Students focus on:
- Word relationships
- Similar meanings
- Parts of speech and other activities
Focus on Writing
Writing activities include stories and poems, biographies, letters, ads, and others.
Application activities include using the words in narrative, expository, persuasive, and personal writing.
Available in levels A-H, Spelling Power improves spelling skills in K-8 students.
- Book A, first graders all concentrate on the Basic Spelling List and activities that build phonemic awareness and skills. Book B lessons include one added Challenge List.
- Books C–H contain 25 instructional lessons and 5 review lessons.
Teacher Guides are spiral-bound, open-and-use and provide 5-day lesson plans with:
- Objectives and suggestions for meeting each student's needs
- Formats for teaching and extending the lessons
- Reproducibles—spelling helps, word study procedure, configuration boxes for Challenge and Super Challenge words
Instant Spelling Words for Writing